The Marketplace @ Violets & Sunshine

03 April 2015

A Box Full of Happy

Hi All! Today I'm sharing, as promised, the little box I made to go with birthday cards I created using the Blossom Cardmaking Workshop On The Go.  Let's take a look:


The box itself is Close To My Heart's My Creation Journaling Cards Box that was designed to hold Picture My Life Cards. It has a removable riser in the bottom that allows the 3x4 cards to peek over the 4x6 card, which I removed to accommodate the standard greeting cards. The My Creations line is designed to be altered, so this box was white when I received it.

To alter the box, I first inked around the edges from the outside to the middle with Smoothie Exclusive Ink. I then cut panels from Pear Cardstock that were 1/4-inch shorter (length and width) than the box and adhered them to the box. I covered the Pear panels with Blossom paper that was cut 1/8-inch shorter (length and width) than the Pear. While I did add a Pear panel to the bottom of the box, I didn't add the Blossom paper so that the box would remain level.

Here's a look at the covered sides and back:



After I finished with the panels, I turned to decorating the front.


First I cut a piece of zip strip from the Blossom paper that was the length of the Blossom panel. (The zip strip is the extra 1/2-inch of paper at the top of the page that is patterned on one side and has information regarding the paper colors on the other.) I then cut two lengths of Glacier Extra Thick Twine--one that ran the length of the Blossom panel, and another that was long enough to tie a bow with. I tied the bow to the first length and then adhered them both above the zip strip with a thin line of Liquid Glass.

After the Liquid Glass dried, I moved on to the embellishment cluster toward the bottom of the box.



For the cluster, I relied heavily on stickers from the Blossom Compliments pack. I adhered the stickers to Pear Cardstock and then fussy cut around them. I left a slight edge of pear showing on the "Friends" and "Family" flags to help them stand out. I then layered everything with dimensional adhesive of varying thickness. I added a pin from my stash to hold the "Live A Happy Life" sentiment, which is anchored in dimensional adhesive. Then I finished it all off with stickers from the Junebug Puffies pack (currently on the "while supplies last" list) and Sparkle Flourishes. (This girl needs her bling....)

Here's a look at the box slightly open:


And here it is with a sampling of the cards inside:


The number of cards these boxes can hold varies with the thickness of card embellishments. I was able to house 9 of 15 cards and envelopes in it pretty easily. The whole set would make a lovely gift, but I think this one will stay with me. It just makes me smile. And when I run out of cards, I can find a gazillion uses for the box!

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the Blossom Card Box. If you have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to leave them below!





2 comments: